Monday 6 June 2011

Austen, Jane "Lady Susan"


Austen, Jane "Lady Susan" - 1795

Jane Austen never really finished this book. Therefore, it was published as a short novel. Though it has an end, the author just never refined her work.

I would have loved to see this as a complete novel, I'm sure it would have been one of her very good ones. Lady Susan is one of those very selfish women who searches a suitable husband for her daughter. There are a lot of letters that show the character of Lady Susan as she seems to alter it with every letter and every person that is supposed to receive that letter.

I love Austen's letters. She is the ultimate letter writer. We don't just see Lady Susan's letters but also those of all the other characters. And with every letter you can find and understand Lady Susan's personality a little better. I have thoroughly enjoyed this short book and was sad when it ended.

From the back cover:

"My Dear Brother, -- I can no longer refuse myself the pleasure of profiting by your kind invitation when we last parted of spending some weeks with you at Churchhill, and, therefore, if quite convenient to you and Mrs. Vernon to receive me at present, I shall hope within a few days to be introduced to a sister whom I have so long desired to be acquainted with. My kind friends here are most affectionately urgent with me to prolong my stay, but their hospitable and cheerful dispositions lead them too much into society for my present situation and state of mind; and I impatiently look forward to the hour when I shall be admitted into Your delightful retirement. I long to be made known to your dear little children, in whose hearts I shall be very eager to secure an interest. I shall soon have need for all my fortitude, as I am on the point of separation from my own daughter. . . ."

I read a lot of novels by or about Jane Austen. Find a link to all my reviews here.

No comments:

Post a Comment