Friday 4 March 2016

Book Quotes of the Week



"Reading has given me more satisfaction than really anything else." Bill Blass, fashion designer

"Fluency is important because it provides a bridge between word recognition and comprehension." Kelly L. Briggs, "Reading in the Classroom"

"If the crowns of all the kingdoms of Europe were laid down at my feet in exchange for my books and my love of reading, I would spurn them all." François Fénelon

"We live in an age of science and of abundance. The care and reverence for books as such, proper to an age when no book was duplicated until someone took the pains to copy it out by hand, is obviously no longer suited to ’the needs of society’, or to the conservation of learning. The weeder is supremely needed if the Garden of the Muses is to persist as a garden." Ezra Pound, Chapter One, ABC of Reading, 1934
"Collect books: nothing is more important than an unread library." John Waters

Find more book quotes here.

2 comments:

  1. I finished reading My Wish List, what a sad, sweet little book. I really enjoyed it, glad you recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, I am glad you liked it.

    Btw - you can always go to "My Reading List" and comment on the page of the book itself, if you like. Just in case that you are looking for the link, here it is:
    Delacourt, Grégoire "La liste de mes envies"

    But here is fine, too.

    As I said, I'm happy you enjoyed it. It's always interesting to read books from other countries. However, I think this could have happened anywhere.

    Have a good day,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete