Monday 18 July 2016

Shakespeare, William "Macbeth"


Shakespeare, William "Macbeth" aka "The Scottish Play" - 1599/1606

After reading "Romeo and Juliet" and "Hamlet", I thought I should tackle "The Scottish Play". It's one of those plays that always get mention and you know what it's about but since I had neither seen nor read it before, there is always something missing.

I still believe plays should be seen and not read but since I don't have the Globe around the corner, this will have to do for the time-being.

I enjoyed reading the book in the end, although "enjoy" isn't really the right thing when talking about murder and slaughter, am I right?

Having said that, the characters in this play are magnificent. There is a strong woman who influences her husband and thereby history. Interesting how this worked already half a millennium ago (probably even longer).

In any case, if you enjoy reading classics, this is a must. If you don't enjoy reading classics, you should still try to try this one, you might just change your mind.

From the back cover: "Encouraged by his ambitious wife and the prophecy of three witches, Macbeth, a brave warrior, murders the rightful King of Scotland and seizes the throne for himself. However, in achieving his ambition, Macbeth has upset the natural order and soon discovers that power cannot suppress guilt.
Macbeth remains one of the most powerful plays about worldly power, greed and ambition - and all the resulting psychological consequences."

2 comments:

  1. I have been reading Shakespeare plays this year because of the Hogarth Shakespeare series. I read the play, then read the retelling, then write a review for Litbreak, an online lit mag where they even actually pay me! So far: The Winter's Tale/The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson. The Merchant of Venice/Shylock is My Name by Howard Jacobson. The Taming of the Shrew/Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. Good fun. And I am seeing that the bard did the classic stories we still like to write and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting. Will have to look for Litbreak, never heard of it.

      I think his stories are still as actual today as any of our contemporary pieces. Look at today's politcs! Shows that the world never really changes. ;)

      Thanks for your comment. Always appreciated.

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete