Tuesday 21 February 2017

Scott, Mary "If I Don’t, Who Will?"


Scott, Mary "If I Don’t, Who Will?" - 1971

As all of Mary Scott's book, this one is quite funny. Laura, a young woman, inherits her grandmother's farm and house but has to take care of her cousins, as well. Most of them are older than her, so you would think that's not a problem but they all think of the house as their home and take advantage of Laura. Sometimes you would like to shake her and tell her not to be exploited by those selfish people but the whole plot is always so funny that you don't mind, after all, none of this would happen if she reacted like any of us.

Anyway, I can only recommend to read any of Mary Scott's books, they are all full of humour. Unfortunately, they are all out of print and only available second hand. I have heard in the meantime, that you can buy some of them as eBooks.

From the back cover (translated):
"Laura, a young woman of twenty, inherits her grandmother's house and farm. But the inheritance has a condition: Laura is to take care of her relatives, she is supposed to make sure that her cousins and the aged uncle have a comfortable home Joseph in Brookside. This does not seem to be more than right and wise..
But as time goes by, it turns out that the condition has a catch. For Lester and Eva, Christine and Uncle Joseph and finally Hugh, the youngest, come to Laura with all their worries, rob her time and occupy Brookside so much that Laura soon no longer knows where her head is.
Then Laura's husband takes a stand ..."

2 comments:

  1. "Then Laura's husband takes a stand..." That made me laugh. My husband puts up with my ways for the most part but now and then he takes a stand. It usually turns out he was right, darn it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it made me laugh, as well. I know in this case, my hausband would have put up a stand a lot earlier. Although, having said that, I would not have put up with those relatives the way Laura did, so he wouldn't have needed to. LOL. Different times, I am sure.

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete